Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Madison Heights goes to the Dixie Youth World Series!

This article mentions my grandson, Cody Lang! We are quite excited even though we are the runners-up!
 
Madison Heights, VA - Unbeaten Rustburg edged Madison Heights last night in the championship game of the Dixie 'O' Zone 11-and-12-year-old Tournament in Madison Heights.
 
Rustburg broke out to a quick 3-0 lead, only for Madison Heights to answer with three big runs in the second. Cody Lang's shot to right gets free, Madison Heights puts three on the boardto tie the game.
In the fourth, Rustburg retook the lead, Daegan Phillips' chopper to third is good enough to score Drew Calohan from third with a go-ahead run.
 
Calohan made that one-run lead stand with clutch pitching and a defensive gem of his own. Madison Heights also made some nice plays, but Rustburg wins the state championship 4-3 and advances to the World Series in South Carolina.
 
Rustburg's winning pitcher Drew Calohan said "I think we're gonna have a ball celebrating. If we do a bus trip, it'll probably be a little crazy bus trip, but ok. Everybody gets crazy when they win state and go to the World Series. Teammate Jacob Bohannon, the tourney's MVP added "I mean it's my first World Series and I'm honored to play with my friends and have fun and win this state tournament."
 
The good news for Madison Heights. This year, Virginia gets to send two teams to the World Series, they'll go as the second team. And in AAA 9-and-10-year olds action, Goochland rallied from a big hole with plays like John King's inside-the-park homer. But Halifax County South won in seven innings 7-6, they'll play another game tonight at 6:30 for the title.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen;

    Congratulations to Cody! Good job even though the other team won. His homer getting 3 runs in was a great offensive play. I know just how proud you are of him.

    When my grandson was his age he was a pitcher for his Texas team and they won their world series and he was voted MVP. That was 4 years ago. I wasn't able to see it but I still treasure the photos my daughter sent to my cellphone.

    Have a lovely evening my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen!

    I am just so excited for you to be going to the World Series! You are going to have a blast and I think you should drive yourself and stay! Have a great weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Contented Comments from Karen's Commrades!